Thanksgiving At The Farm 2008

Diary Entry For November 30, 2008

I knew Thanksgiving was in the air when I saw Dr. Bollig walking around Nor-Tech with his cart full of pies!  For as long as I can remember, David has continued his generous tradition of giving every one of his employees a nice pie on Thanksgiving Eve.  Sadly, I missed out on one of the delicious French Silk pies and instead had to settle for a country apple.  I was still very thankful, though, because there’s an old Shortarmguy Family Motto that says “Never ever complain to a man that is giving you a free pie.”  I try to live my life by that motto.

We went down to the farm to celebrate the holiday and had our turkey around noon time.  And then we had our turkey again around three.  Again at six.  Then again the next day for breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon meal, early dinner, late dinner, supper, and midnight snack.  I got to know everything there was to know about that bird!!

Although Grandma Leona cooked the turkey, the task for carving it fell on to Uncle Jerry’s shoulders.  I volunteered to do it, but for some reason they don’t want the guy with the missing digits to handle big knives.  Seems a little paranoid to me.

After the big meal, we settled down to tackle a challenging puzzle.  The ladies did the majority of the work and then I came in towards the end to help finish the job.  When we had the puzzle about 95% completed, the kids became suddenly interested in helping and pushed the adults out of the way.  Then when they put in the final pieces they looked up at us with smug looks and said “How do you like the puzzle we did?”  So we spanked them and then sent them to bed early. 

Sunny’s position on the farm has markedly improved.  He used to be relegated to the cold garage when we’d come to visit.  Eventually Grandma and Grandpa though that was too cold, so they allowed him to stay in the house as long as he was locked in the basement.  Eventually he worked his way up the stairs and was allowed to stay in the back room as long as we kept the door shut.  But now my good dog has earned the right to keep the door open.  He knows when he comes to the farm, he’s not allowed to leave this room and he stayed in there during our entire four day stay!  Some times when no-one is around, I let him sneak forward a couple of feet so he’s actually standing in the kitchen.  After 30 seconds or so I tell him to go back into his room then we both giggle at our rebelliousness.

On Black Friday morning, we rolled out of bed at 3 am to go join the crazy people standing in line to get their hands on some door busting deals.  I wonder if they’ll still call the bargains Door Busters after what happened to This Poor Guy who was trampled at a Wal-Mart in New York?

Lucky for us, we weren’t involved in any trampling incidents, but hearing these ladies talk about how they pursue the products they want during the stampede made me just a bit nervous about my personal safety.  Miss Sheri and I participated in three different store openings including Kohl’s at 4am, Wal-Mart at 5am, and Target at 6am.  I didn’t really see too much violence during any of those events, but Miss Sheri witnessed a tussle over a standing mixer at Wal-Mart.  No fists were thrown but there was a lot of yelling about who was there first.  Eventually a Wal-Mart employee came over and took the mixer away from both of them so neither one of them got it.  I guess that will learn them!

This young man also woke up early on Black Friday, but for a different reason.  Apparently he was protesting bargain shoppers and walked back and forth in front of Wal-Mart waving his signs.  I asked him if it was all right to take his picture and he said it was fine as long as I didn’t get too close.  Apparently, he didn’t want his face to be seen.  Because you just know that if someone at Wal-Mart really knew who he was, they’d get his ass!

On Friday afternoon, we participated in a stampede of a different sort.  We joined one of Jerry’s farmer friends as he attempted to walk his herd of cattle from one field to another one a mile down the road.

Uncle Jerry is a modern day cowboy.  Instead of horses, he corrals the beasts with a four wheeler ATV.  Two of his friends had them as well for the event.  But even with these fancy vehicles, they struggled to get all the animals together before the walk started.  It started out being quite interesting to watch them chase two stubborn little calves who absolutely refused to join the group.  After two and a half hours of watching them, it wasn’t so interesting any more. 

Eventually they were able to get all the cows together and they followed a tractor dragging a big bale of hay to their destination.  Although it might not sound like a very difficult task, walking 40 or so cows down a busy road is a bit of a challenge.  Especially when there’s impatient drivers who just can’t wait for the cows to finish their walk and then decide they’ll just try to drive through the herd as this lady in the grey car did.  I was curious if one of the bulls would see her flashing red lights and charge the back of her bumper, but it didn’t happen. 

On Friday night, we celebrated an early Christmas with Grandma and Grandpa and the kids were quite spoiled once again.  Aunt Laura bought Luke his dream present, a terrarium where he can grow ten different varieties of carnivorous plants.  He seems to think that he’ll be able to grow plants that will eat his brother.  I’m hoping that doesn’t happen.

He Loves His Wii

Born To Be Blind

Canadian Police Chase

How Divorce Affects Thanksgiving

Guess who didn’t rake all their leaves which then ended up on his neighbor’s lawn?

Sorry, coach.  I’ll never miss my landing again!

I gotta get me some of these!

I am going to turn this soooooo carefully!

So that’s how they do this!

Somebody didn’t think this through on this store layout.

I can’t wait for a system crash!

Quote of the Week

“Dance as if no one’s watching, sing as if no one’s listening, and live every day as if it were your last.”

– Irish proverb

Joke of the Week


One year at Thanksgiving, my mom went to my sister’s house for the traditional feast. Knowing how gullible my sister is, my mom decided to play a trick. She told my sister that she needed something from the store. When my sister left, my mom took the turkey out of the oven, removed the stuffing, stuffed a Cornish hen, and inserted it into the turkey, and re-stuffed the turkey. She then placed the birds back in the oven. When it was time for dinner, my sister pulled the turkey out of the oven and proceeded to remove the stuffing. When her serving spoon hit something, she reached in and pulled out the little bird. With a look of total shock on her face, my mother exclaimed, ‘Patricia, you’ve cooked a pregnant bird!’ At the reality of this horrifying news, my sister started to cry. It took the family two hours to convince her that turkeys lay eggs!

Yep……… ……… SHE’S BLONDE!

Shortarmguy’s Favorite Websites

November 30, 2008

This is a nice article about Nor-Tech and our recent advances into the marketplace for portable Supercomputers.

Nor-Tech Gains Powerful Advantage With Microsoft’s HPC Server 2008

Miami Ink — Garver and Todd

Somebody uploaded the high definition video of my Miami Ink Episode

Thanksgiving Through The Years — How Times Have Changed!

9 Year Old Kid Rocks On Guitar Hero!

Shortarmguy’s Emails To Make You Think

Email Shortarmguy at

November 30, 2008



On July 22nd I was in route to Washington , DC for a business trip. It was all so very ordinary, until we landed in Denver for a plane change. As I collected my belongings from the overhead bin, an announcement was made for Mr. Lloyd Glenn to see
When I got off the plane a solemn-faced young man came toward me and said, ‘Mr.. Glenn, there is an emergency at your home. I do not know what the emergency is, or who is involved, but I will take you to the phone so you can call the hospital.’

My heart was now pounding, but the will to be calm took over. Woodenly, I followed this stranger to the distant telephone where I called the number he gave me for the Mission Hospital . My call was put through to the trauma center where I learned that my three-year-old son had been trapped underneath the automatic garage door for several minutes, and that when my wife had found him he was dead. CPR had been performed by a neighbor, who is a doctor, and the paramedics had continued the treatment as Brian was transported to the hospital.

By the time of my call, Brian was revived and they believed he would live, but they did not know how much damage had been done to his brain, nor to his heart. They explained that the door had completely closed on his little sternum right over his heart. He had been severely crushed. After speaking with the medical staff, my wife sounded worried but not hysterical, and I took comfort in her calmness.

The return flight seemed to last forever, but finally I arrived at the hospital six hours after the garage door had come down. When I walked into the intensive care unit, nothing could have prepared me to see my little son laying so still on a great big bed with tubes and monitors everywhere. He was on a respirator. I glanced at my wife who stood and tried to give me a reassuring smile. It all seemed like a terrible dream. I was filled-in with the details and given a guarded prognosis. Brian was going to live, and the preliminary tests indicated that his heart was OK, two miracles in and of themselves. But only time would tell if his brain received any damage.

Throughout the seemingly endless hours, my wife was calm. She felt that Brian would eventually be all right. I hung on to her words and faith like a lifeline. All that night and the next day Brian remained unconscious. It seemed like forever since I had left for my business trip the day before.

Finally at two o’clock that afternoon, our son regained consciousness and sat up uttering the most beautiful words I have ever heard spoken. He said, ‘Daddy hold me’ and he reached for me with his little arms.

By the next day he was pronounced as having no neurological or physical deficits, and the story of his miraculous survival spread throughout the hospital. You cannot imagine, we took Brian home, we felt a unique reverence for the life and love of our Heavenly Father that comes to those who brush death so closely.

In the days that followed there was a special spirit about our home. Our two older children were much closer to their little brother. My wife and I were much closer to each other, and all of us were very close as a whole family Life took on a less stressful pace. Perspective seemed to be more focused, and balance much easier to gain and maintain. We felt deeply blessed. Our gratitude was truly profound.

Almost a month later to the day of the accident, Brian awoke from his afternoon nap and said, ‘Sit down Mommy.. I have something to tell you.’ At this time in his life, Brian usually spoke in small phrases, so to say a large sentence surprised my wife. She sat down with him on his bed, and he began his sacred and remarkable story.

‘Do you remember when I got stuck under the garage door? Well, it was so heavy and it hurt really bad. I called to you, but you couldn’t hear me.. I started to cry, but then it hurt too bad. And then the ‘birdies’ came.’

The birdies?’ my wife asked puzzled.

‘Yes,’ he replied. ‘The birdies made a whooshing sound and flew into the garage. They took care of me.’

‘They did?’

‘Yes,’ he said. ‘One of the birdies came and got you. She came to tell you ‘I got stuck under the door.’ A sweet reverent feeling filled the room. The spirit was so strong and yet lighter than air. My wife realized that a three-year-old had no concept of death and spirits, so he was referring to the beings who came to him from beyond as ‘birdies’ because they were up in the air like birds that fly.. ‘What did the birdies look like?’ she asked.

Brian answered, ‘They were so beautiful. They were dressed in white, all white. Some of them had green and white. But some of them had on just white.’

‘Did they say anything?’

‘Yes,’ he answered. ‘They told me the baby would be all right.’

‘The baby?’ my wife asked confused.

Brian answered. ‘The baby laying on the garage floor.’ He went on, ‘You came out and opened the garage door and ran to the baby. You told the baby to stay and not leave.’

My wife nearly collapsed upon hearing this, for she had indeed gone and knelt beside Brian’s body and seeing his crushed chest whispered, ‘Don’t leave us Brian, please stay if you can.’ As she listened to Brian telling her the words she had spoken, she realized that the spirit had left His body and was looking down from above on this little lifeless form.. ‘Then what happened?’ she asked.

‘We went on a trip,’ he said, ‘far, far away.’ He grew agitated trying to say the things he didn’t seem to have the words for. My wife tried to calm and comfort him, and let him know it would be okay. He struggled with wanting to tell something that obviously was very important to him, but finding the words was difficult.

‘We flew so fast up in the air. They’re so pretty Mommy,’ he added.

‘And there are lots and lots of birdies.’ My wife was stunned. Into her mind the sweet comforting spirit enveloped her more soundly, but with an urgency she had never before known. Brian went on to tell her that the ‘birdies’ had told him that he had to come back and tell everyone about the ‘birdies.’ He said they brought him back to the house and that a big fire truck, and an ambulance were there. A man was bringing the baby out on a white bed and he tried to tell the man that the baby would be okay. The story went on for an hour.

He taught us that ‘birdies’ were always with us, but we don’t see them because we look with our eyes and we don’t hear them because we listen with our ears. But they are always there, you can only see them in here (he put his hand over his heart). They whisper the things to help us to do what is right because they love us so much. Brian continued, stating, ‘I have a plan, Mommy. You have a plan.. Daddy has a plan. Everyone has a plan. We must all live our plan and keep our promises. The birdies help us to do that cause they love us so much.’

In the weeks that followed, he often came to us and told all, or part of it, again and again. Always the story remained the same. The details were never changed or out of order. A few times he added further bits of information and clarified the message he had already delivered. It never ceased to amaze us how he could tell such detail and speak beyond his ability when he talked about his birdies.

Everywhere he went, he told strangers about the ‘birdies.’ Surprisingly, no one ever looked at him strangely when he did this. Rather, they always got a softened look on their face and smiled. Needless to say, we have not been the same ever since that day, and I pray we never will be.